How Old Is Old Enough To Be Left Home Alone?
Lac qui Parle County Guidelines:
- Children age 7 and younger must be supervised at all times!!!!
It may be acceptable for children:
- Ages 8-10 to be left alone for short periods of time. (Not to exceed 3 hours).
- Ages 11-13 to be unsupervised or to babysit with the expectation that the parent/caretaker returns within 12 hours.
- Ages 14-15 to be unsupervised or to babysit with the expectation that the parent/caretaker returns within 24 hours.
- Ages 16-17 to be unsupervised or to babysit for more than 24 hours if an emergency plan & adult backup is in place.
- There is no magical age to leave a child home alone.
- Maturity, development, handling emergencies & being responsible varies for each child.
- The child should also feel confident & safe when alone.
Curfew for the City of Madison
- All children ages 0-14 have a 10:00 p.m. curfew always. They may not be present at any public place, street, road, alley, park, playground or any vacant property or unsupervised place in the City unless accompanied by his or her parent/guardian.
- It is unlawful for any parent, guardian or other person having lawful care, custody or control of any Child under the age 18 to allow or permit the child to violate the City of Madison’s curfew.
- All Children ages 15-18 have an 11:00 p.m. curfew Sunday-Thursday. Friday and Saturday the curfew is 12:00 a.m. They may not be present at any public place, street, road, alley, park, playground or any vacant property or unsupervised place in the City unless accompanied by his or her parent/guardian.
Have A Wonderful Summer!
Lac qui Parle County Family Services
PO Box 7 • 930 1st Ave
Madison, MN 56256