The Emergency Management Office is in charge of developing emergency preparedness, mitigation, response, and recovery plans for Lac qui Parle County and keeping them current/updated along with the FEMA required Hazard Mitigation Plan and the County's Emergency Operations Plan. Emergency Management assists local Police, Fire, EMS, and Sheriff's departments in writing grants for emergency related equipment, training, and exercising. The department is in charge of coordinating disaster relief and assistance through the state HSEM and FEMA and coordinating resources and supplies as county departments request them when an incident does happen.
The Emergency Manager is in charge of the Lac qui Parle Emergency Operations Center during a disaster and helps to coordinate resources, personnel, and public information in support of on-scene incident command.
The EM Office is located in the Emergency Operations Center (Multimedia room) in the County Annex Building in Madison, MN.
Services and Responsibilities:
- Updating and keeping current the local Emergency Operations Plan and revising according the the Minnesota MnWalk Guidelines released by HSEM annually.
- Damage assessments and emergency declarations after incidents.
- Local liaison for the Department of Public Safety and the US Department of Homeland Security.
- Chairs the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) which meets on a quarterly basis with local emergency stakeholders.
- Maintaining a FEMA approved Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan and enhancing community mitigation activities.
- Providing training and developing exercises for County Emergency Responders
- Researching and writing grants related to emergency equipment
- Public Outreach (recent emergencies/disasters, preparedness strategies, etc)
- Weather Information
- Addressing FEMA's 32 Core Capabilities through Planning, Organization, Equipment, Training, and Exercising
Current Disaster-related Grants, Loans, and Programs:
FEMA – Emergency Protective Measures expense reimbursement (Category B) due to the COVID-19 Pandemic (DR-4531).
OPEN applications: No due date
Eligible Applicants: County and Local units of government. Please contact Blain Johnson for more information.
Please 'Like' our Facebook Page for the most up-to-date information
Blain Johnson Emergency Management Director Emergency Operations Center 422 5th Avenue Madison, MN 56256 Phone: 320-598-7171 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org