Child support is the contribution a parent makes for their children towards care, living expenses, and medical support. All of Minnesota's 87 counties are federally mandated to provide child support services for families regardless of the family's socioeconomic status. Child support includes: basic support, child care support, and medical support. For additional information on the child support program, visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services Web site at www.childsupport.dhs.state.mn.us.
Lac qui Parle County Child Support Services:
- Establishing paternity / legally naming the father of a child born outside of marriage
- Establishing a court order for child support
- Modifying an existing child support order
- Enforcing an existing child support order
- Locating parents for child support
- Identifying and verifying sources of income for child support
- Collecting and processing payments
Services Lac qui Parle County Child Support Does Not Provide:
- Legal advice
- Legal separation or divorce
- Establishing or enforcing custody or parenting time/visitation
- Collecting unpaid bills or debts not related to child support obligations
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How do I apply for Child Support Services?
You may apply for child support services if a minor child lives in your household, if the child is financially dependent on you, and if a parent is absent from the home. If you are applying for or are receiving public assistance in Lac qui Parle County, your application for child support services will automatically be referred to us. If you would like to apply for our non-public assistance child support services, you must apply in one of the following ways:
- Online – you may access a printable application here: Application for Support and Collections Services
- In person – you may apply in our office at 930 1st Avenue, Madison, MN
- By mail – you may call us at (320) 598-7594 and an application will be mailed to you upon request.
Please mail or drop off completed forms and applications to:
Lac qui Parle County Family Services
PO Box 7
930 1st Avenue
Madison, MN 56256
How do I make a Child Support Payment?
- Please visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services website to see a list of payment options here: Payment Options Brochure
How can I get payment information on my case?
- Please visit the Minnesota Child Support Online system to register for a secure online account to view your case information.
How much Child Support will I have to pay?
- The Minnesota Child Support Enforcement Division has designed the Child Support Guidelines Calculator to help non custodial parents estimate the amount of child support that the court may order on a case. This calculator is for informational and educational use only and is not a substitute for the child support guidelines. You may access the calculator on the Minnesota Department of Human Services website here: Minnesota Child Support Guidelines Calculator.
How do I request a change to my Child Support?
- Parents may request a review of the child support case. Parents may use this form to request the county child support office review their court order to determine if it should be changed (modified). Parents can also respond to a request for review using this form. Financial Statement (PDF)
- Parents may request review of medical coverage only. Parents may use this form to request the county child support office review the medical portion of their court order only. Parents can also respond to a request for review using this form. Medical Modification Information Sheet DHS-6019-ENG (PDF)
- The interactive Child Support ezDocs web tool helps Minnesota child support participants request or respond to a review of their current case. It also shows how a participant can file their own motion with the court to review their case.
Can I receive my Child Support as a Direct Deposit to my bank account?
- Yes. If you are interested in having your child support payment direct deposited into a checking or savings account, please fill out this form: Direct Deposit for Child Support (PDF).
- If you do not have a checking or savings account, child support payments may be loaded to a prepaid U.S. Bank ReliaCard instead. You may apply for a Stored Value Card using this form: Stored Value Card (PDF)
How do I collect unreimbursed and/or uninsured medical or dental expenses?
- Either parent can use this packet to begin collection of unreimbursed and/or uninsured medical or dental expenses from the other parent. The packet contains information, notices and instructions. Unreimbursed and/or Uninsured Medical Dental Expenses Packet (PDF)
What is the other parents' address and/or place of employment?
- This is private data and cannot be shared.
How do I establish/change the custody/parenting time?
- The Lac qui Parle County Child Support office does not have authority in this area. Please consult a private attorney for legal advice.
How do I close my Child Support case?
- Parents who applied for child support services use this form to ask the child support office to close their case. Request to Close Support Case (PDF)
How can I learn more about Child Support?
- Please visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services website to find more information, resources, and forms related to Child Support services: Child Support