Examiners are returning to Madison on February 18th, 2022!
Where: Multimedia Room, 422 5th Avenue, Madison, MN 56256 (Annex Building on west side of MMN Elementary)
When: The third Friday of each month
Examiners available: 9:15 a.m. – noon; 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Knowledge tests: 10:00 a.m.
Class D Skills tests: Customers can make appointments within two weeks of an exam station opening. Visit drive.mn.gov to make appointments.
CDL & Motorcycle Skills tests: 10:00 a.m. walk-in- first come, first serve.
*Please note that Commercial Learner’s Permits (CLP) cannot be applied for at the License Center in the Courthouse. They must be applied for at a full exam station OR with the examiner when they are in Madison.
- Go to an exam station to schedule in person
- Call 651-284-1000 to schedule an exam
Renewing Someone Else's Registration Stickers? Please bring in the renewal notice mailed to the owner from Driver and Vehicle Services or a signed Authorization Form (link below) from the owner. Without one of these items, we will not be able to sell registration stickers to a non-owner due to data privacy laws.
To complete a title transfer ALL buyers must be present
– or –
Both the (1) Title, and (2) the PS2000 document must be filled out prior to coming into the office (printed name, signatures, driver’s license number, etc).
Note: When transferring a title, owner’s must also have current insurance information on the vehicle being titled.
Lac qui Parle County Courthouse
600 6th Street, Suite 5
Madison, MN 56256
Main office phone: (320) 598-7444
Fax: (320) 598-3125
License Center Overview
The County Auditor-Treasurer's Office is appointed by the MN Department of Public Safety as an independent Deputy Registrar Office. The Deputy Registrar provides services related to driver's license applications, vehicle title, and registration services. The Auditor-Treasurer's Office also provides, on behalf of the MN Department of Natural Resources, services related to registration of off-highway vehicles, snowmobiles, and boats and watercraft. A summary of the services provided is below.
Minnesota Driver's License Agent
- Driver License/Personal ID Card – 1st time applicant, renewal, and replacement/duplicate
- Exam Station – exams must be scheduled through the Marshall DVS Office by calling (507) 537-7024 or online
- Online Knowledge Testing
- Standard Driver's License
- REAL ID License
- Enhanced Driver's License
- New to state residents
- List of fee
Minnesota Vehicle Title
- Transfer of ownership when purchasing or selling a vehicle
- Collection of Motor Vehicle Sales Tax
- Initial title for new vehicles or new to state
- Duplicate/replacement title requests
- List of fees
Minnesota Vehicle Registration
- Registration renewals and issuance of new/replacement license plates
- Applications for special license plates
- List of fees
MN Department of Natural Resources Registrations